Are you ready to know how to make turkey bacon crispy? If the answer is yes, then youre in the right place! Weve got a delicious recipe for turkey bacon that will make all of your bacon dreams come true in this Christmas.
Not only are we going to show you how to perfect the perfect level of crispiness in your turkey bacon, but how to bring out its full flavor and texture as well.
This simple yet savory dish takes very little time and effort, so its the perfect weeknight meal or a late-night snack for any home cook out there. Lets get started with how to make turkey bacon crispy!
What Makes Turkey Bacon not Crunchy?
Before learning how to get turkey bacon crispy, check out why your bacon comes out rubbery or greasy.
The main issue with turkey bacon is that it doesnt have as much fat content as traditional pork-based bacon, so it tends to end up shriveled and greasy rather than crispy.
This is why the key to making your turkey bacon crispy is cooking it at a high temperature for a longer period of time.
How To Make Turkey Bacon Crispy
Ready to take your turkey bacon from average to amazing? Lets dive into how you can achieve the most desirable result - crispy, crackled perfection! Cooking this type of bacon is simple and straightforward; however, it takes some practice in order to get that signature crunch.
Dont worry - weve gathered four straightforward, surefire methods you can try with regular turkey cooking techniques on this Christmas holidays.
Best of all? Youll get perfectly crispy bacon each time if you follow our instructions! Lets dive in and explore these easy-to-use tactics pf how to make turkey bacon crispy.
#1. Using pan-fry
This method is the easiest and requires minimal specialized equipment when it comes to how to make turkey bacon crispy for Christmas. All you need is a quality, heavy-bottomed skillet-even better if its nonstick! Your cooking journey def becomes easier.
Without any concern to worry about, your non-stick pan will be heated to temperatures that will not cause it to release harmful fumes or start chipping.
- Pour a generous 2 tablespoons of oil into your large pan and preheat it to medium-high heat.
- While you wait, take the bacon from its packet and divide the slices.
- Start by adding the bacon to the pan, making sure that no pieces overlap.
- Allow them to cook for around 2-3 minutes on each side and remember to turn them every few minutes. Continue this process until they become deliciously crispy!
- We all desire our turkey bacon to be crisp, not oily! To achieve this delicious texture, cook them on a plate and then drain the remaining oil using paper towels.
- Dont forget that you should flip your strips of bacon so both sides are cleaned with a paper towel. This is one of the top tricks of how to make turkey bacon crispy.
#2. Using oven bake
If you are fortunate enough to have access to an oven when doing how to get turkey bacon crispy, the best way is undoubtedly the simplest for this festive Christmas. Baking turkey bacon in an oven gives you a hands-free experience with outstanding results. Furthermore, if your appliance of choice has convection technology - (thermo-fan or fan based) - this method will be even more effective!
To produce the most scrumptious bacon, we suggest cooking it on an oven-proof wire rack. This allows air to flow around every side of the slice and result in faster, more even crispiness.
To prepare your turkey bacon and go on with how to make turkey bacon crispy, simply put the slices on a non-stick baking pan or piece of parchment paper. If you have one handy, silicone mats are an excellent choice too!
- If you have a convection oven that is equipped with a fan, preheat it to 320ºF. If not, simply set your regular ovens temperature setting to 360ºF and let the cooking begin!
- To ensure your bacon sizzles to perfection, first line a baking pan or roasting tray with non-stick baking paper or a silicone sheet.
- Then, carefully distribute the pieces on top of the surface, ensuring none are touching one another.
- To gather the bacon drippings, place a roasting rack over top an accompanying tray. Afterwards, arrange your slices of bacon atop the wire rack for optimal air circulation.
- Sparingly brush the bacon slices with oil; too much will result in them becoming scorched instead of crisped.
- Roast the bacon pieces for only 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of your slices and how hot your oven is.
- Flip it every 5 minutes until you achieve that desired, crispy texture. Voila! So thats everything with how to make turkey bacon crispy in oven.
#3. Using air fry
Last, but again, not least, air frying your turkey bacon pieces is a marvelous way to crisp them up without any oil or fat!
With the hot air technology of an air fryer, you can quickly and easily crisp up your desired pieces. The circulating heat allows for minimal effort in achieving restaurant-worthy turkey bacon within minutes!
Get ready to enjoy arguably the most flavorsome Christmas meal with only a fraction of time and energy spent.
- Preheat your oven to 320°F and bake for 8 minutes. If desired, you can line the chamber with foil in order to capture any drippings that may occur during cooking.
- Start by inserting the bacon into the chamber basket and fastening it inside your air fryer.
- Next, let it cook for approximately 8 minutes without flipping or turning over. However, you can check on its state after 4 minutes have elapsed to see if further cooking is needed.
- To obtain the crispiest bacon, allow it to drain on a paper towel after cooking. Even if you havent added oil, turkey bacon will have made its own - but for healthier pieces, be sure to thoroughly blot them with a paper towel!\
Here are some videos of how to make turkey bacon crispy for you:
Pro Tips to Keep Turkey Bacon Crispy Not Dry
- To get the most flavorful and crunchy bacon, it is essential to never overcrowd your cooking vessel. Doing so will lower the temperature of the pan causing your bacon to not crisp up properly.
- To achieve how to get turkey bacon crispy, be sure to keep each turkey bacon slice separate. Make certain that they do not overlap and aim for no contact between pieces!
- If youre seeking a crispier bacon experience when learning how to make turkey bacon crispy, opt for thicker slices. On the other hand, if you wish to save time in the kitchen, go with thinner-cut pieces of bacon - they will cook faster than usual!
- To reduce your consumption of unhealthy fats, always drain cooked turkey bacon on a paper towel. Even when you dont add oil to the pan while cooking, turkey bacon produces its own fat which can be removed by draining it onto a paper towel.
- Infuse your turkey bacon with some extra flavor by adding a combination of ground spices and basting sauces (or syrups) while oven-baking or air-frying. Unlock the hidden depths to this salty, savory delight through an array of complex tastes that will take your taste buds on a journey of how to make turkey bacon crispy!
The Best Go-To Brands of Turkey Bacon
Youll need one package (12 oz.) of, you guessed it, turkey bacon to make oven-baked turkey bacon. Because it uses gentle natural components as preservatives rather than harsh chemical substances, uncured bacon is more recommended. The preferred brands for uncured turkey bacon when cooking are Applegate Naturals, Trader Joe, Butterball, Oscar Meyer, and Turkey Rashers.
Oven bake vs Air fryer: which one is better to cook turkey bacon?
The answer to this entirely depends on how you prefer your bacon prepared. The oven baking method requires oil to be added, thus resulting in a more traditional, albeit less healthy experience.
On the other hand, an air fryer provides a healthier option without the need for any additional fat - making it ideal for those looking to cut down their unhealthy fats or reduce their overall caloric intake.
Ultimately, it all depends on how you want to prepare your turkey bacon - both methods produce great results!
How long can cooked turkey bacon stay fresh?
Cooked turkey bacon can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week. Additionally, cooked bacon can be frozen for up to three months.
Can I cook frozen turkey bacon?
Yes, you can indeed cook frozen turkey bacon in either an oven or air fryer. However, the cooking time will vary depending on the type of appliance you are using.
Generally speaking, the oven baking method takes longer (15-20 minutes) while air frying yields faster results (10 minutes). The best course of action is to check how long it takes for your particular appliance to cook frozen turkey bacon and adjust accordingly.
Should I put oil to crisp up turkey bacon?
No, it is not necessary to add oil when cooking turkey bacon either in an oven or air fryer. In fact, many people find that adding oil often times results in a greasy consistency which can be unpleasant.
If you are looking for a lighter way to crisp up your turkey bacon without needing any additional fat - then the air fryer is a good way.
What if I just cook only a few slices?
Whether youre preparing a whole package or just a few slices, turkey bacon can still be cooked in the oven. You can use a skillet or the microwave instead of heating up the oven if you dont want to bake a few pieces. To cook turkey bacon, you can alternatively use an air fryer.
Can I serve and eat raw bacon?
Even though the meat is cured, most varieties of turkey bacon need be heated and cooked sufficiently before eating. It is always safest to heat turkey bacon before eating it, even if the box indicates that it is completely cooked.
After a package is opened, the raw bacon must be consumed within five to seven days.
And thats how we know about how to make turkey bacon crispy. Thank you for reading and we hope to be your best sous chef that can help you conquer your cooking journey and serve your beloved family with festive meals in this Christmas.
Ready to become the master chef in your kitchen? Look no further than The Blue Stove! Our website offers amazing recipes for cooking and baking that you wont find anywhere else. Not only will you get tantalizing treats, but our team is available if any questions arise during your culinary journey. So dont wait another minute - start sizzling up some delicious dishes today!