Well well, who wants to know how to make Squid Game Cookies? The Netflix series Squid Game has become extremely popular, and I love it. In episode three, the characters have to play a game using a type of candy called Dalgona. If youre interested in learning how to make this candy, keep reading!
People love trying new recipes, and there are endless possibilities when it comes to what you can cook or bake. If youre looking for a new recipe to try, why not make Squid Game cookies? Theyre fun to make, and they taste delicious! Keep reading for instructions on how to make Squid Game Cookies.
What is Squid Game Cookies?
Or we can call Korean Dalgona Candy, which was one of the famous street food in the 1970s and 80s. As retro candy, it is still available and consumed in South Korea. In Korean, dalguna (달고나) means its sweet. Korean people also use the word ppopgi (뽑기) for this candy.
Actually, the game is called Ppopgi. Children used to try to carve the shape out in a manner reminiscent of the game in Squid Game (a popular movie in 2021). Street merchants occasionally gave youngsters who cut the mold well prizes (like toys).
How to Make Squid Game Cookies?
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- A pinch of baking soda
- Before you begin of how to make Squid Game cookies, lay out parchment paper or a silicone baking mat on a flat surface. Have the sugar and baking soda ready to use.
- Then, preheat your pan or ladle. Use medium to low heat throughout the process since sugar melts easily and can burn quickly.
- Begin by adding 2 tablespoons of sugar to your pan or ladle and stirring it with a wooden chopstick or spoon. The sugar will begin to melt, so make sure to keep an eye on the color as you stir.
- Youll want to avoid burning the mixture, so if youre using a ladle it may be helpful to be able to move the sugar away from or closer to the stove while you cook.
- Remove the pot from heat when the sugar has melted and turned golden brown. Now, youll need to work quickly.
- Stir in a pinch of baking soda until evenly mixed-the mixture should be light caramel in color and frothy. Dont worry if this takes only a few seconds!
- Let the mixture cool on parchment paper or a silicone baking mat for 15-20 seconds. If its too hot, it will be too sticky.
- Optional: If you want to flatten the candy, you can use a bottom of a bowl or special hotteok press. If using the press, lightly pressing down a few times before pressing harder works best so it doesnt stick. We opted out of this step because our cookie was already pretty flat.
- Next, use a cookie cutter to press into the candy. We liked the stamping method best. Press gently a few times so the cookie cutter doesnt get stuck.
- Make sure the dalgona candy is cool to the touch before taking it off the parchment paper or silicone baking mat. You can make as much of this recipe of how to make Squid Game cookies as you want!
Here are YouTube videos for you:
Tips to Have Great Squid Game cookies
- Before you begin, make sure to have all the supplies and ingredients ready.
- Its best to use a steel soup spoon and a wooden chopstick, but if you dont have those, a small pan with a wooden spoon will work fine.
- Use medium to low heat for this dalgona candy recipe because sugar melts-and burns-quickly. A ladle keeps the sugar farther away from or closer to the stove so it doesnt burn.
- Patience is key when caramelizing the mixture, but act quickly once you add baking soda! Letting the mixture cool for 15-20 seconds before pressing into a mold prevents your mold from getting stuck
- Gently press down onto the dalgona candy a few times with a stamping method (not too deep at once), otherwise your cutter may stick.
- Do not wait to press your cutter into the honeycomb too late, because it will harden quickly.
- Let the dalgona candy/honeycomb cool completely before removing from baking paper.
How to Play the Squid Game Cookies?
A variety of cookies known as Dalgona candy is going to be one of the primary challenges that contestants will need to complete on the show. These are very thin snacks, and participants will need to carve various shapes into them. If the cookie crumbles, then that player is eliminated from the competition.
And thats all for how to make Squid Game cookies. Lets wrap up with some side information of this dalgona candy before ending.
What exactly are Squid Game cookies made of?
- This cookie is made of caramelized sugar.
- Baking soda gives the candy a honeycomb-like texture and a frothy, creamy appearance.
(check out again how to make Squid Game cookies recipe above)
What is mixed in the mixture of Squid Game?
Dalgona candy is a delectable treat that melts in your mouth, but its also quite difficult to work with. In the show, contestants must carve out shapes from the mixture, which sounds simple enough. However, the cookie is fragile and made only from sugar and baking soda. Triangles, hearts and umbrellas have to be cut out perfectly in order for participants to move on.
How to play the Squid Game cookies?
One of the primary challenges on the show is for participants to make a type of cookies called Dalgona candy. These snacks are very thin, and participants must carve shapes into them. If the cookie breaks, then that participant is out of the game.
Does the Korean dalgona candy expire?
After your dalgona has cooled, store it in an airtight zip bag on the counter. If you live somewhere with high humidity, your dalgona might become sticky after a few days (because of caramelized sugar). Check out again how to make Squid Game cookies so that you can elevate your candy.
What is dalgona and how to pronounce it in English?
/ˌdɑːlˈɡəʊnə/ noun. South Korean sweet dumplings made from sugar and baking soda.
We hope youll use these squid game cookies at your upcoming dinner party now that you are aware of all the tricks and tips of how to make Squid Game cookies. Impress your company with your culinary prowess and astound them with these mouthwatering treats. We appreciate your choosing us to be your sous chef and look forward to assisting you as you become more engrossed in the culinary world. Dont forget to visit our website, thebluestove.com, for more top-secret methods and recipes. Happy eating!