Well so how to defrost ground turkey right at home? If youre like most people, you probably enjoy cooking. And if youre like most people, one of your favorite ingredients to work with is ground turkey. But what do you do if its frozen? Dont worry - weve got your back! In this blog post, well show you how to defrost ground turkey safely and efficiently right at home following USDA. So lets get started!
And if you are interested in different crazy dishes of turkey for this Christmas, dont forget to try out this baked crispy turkey bacon. It will blow your mind!
Is It Safe to Thaw Ground Turkey in Microwave?
Lets begin how to defrost ground turkey with microwave - a familiar kitchen equipment with every household. It is perfectly safe to thaw ground turkey in the microwave. Following to USDA FSIS, do these three simple steps to thaw your ground turkey safely:
- in the fridge (up to 24 hours),
- under cold water (for at least one hour),
- on the defrost setting in the microwave (a few minutes).
How to Defrost Ground Turkey
Method #1: By microwave
If youre in a hurry and need to defrost your ground turkey quickly, you can use the microwave. While this method is quick and convenient, its also not recommended because microwaving can lead to uneven cooking, and can also alter the flavor of your turkey. To defrost your ground turkey in the microwave, place it on a microwave-safe plate or bowl and set the heat for about 5 minutes, or until its fully defrosted.
- Make sure the plate or dish has at least 1 in (2.5 cm) of room between the turkey and the sides so that any juices dont spill over the edges.
- Never cook your turkey in its regular packaging in the microwave because it can cause a fire.
Method #2: By water
If you want to avoid using the microwave when learning how to defrost ground turkey, you can also thaw it by submerging it in cold water.
To do this, place the wrapped or sealed package of ground turkey in a large bowl or pot filled with cold water.
Be sure to change the water regularly so that it stays cold throughout the process (about 30 minutes). This method generally takes around 1 hour per pound (0.5 kg), so be sure to plan accordingly.
Method #3: By fridge
Another effective method how to defrost ground turkey is using the refrigerator. This can take longer than other methods, but its also the safest option. Simply remove the ground turkey from its packaging and place it in a clean container or bowl. Then, cover it and place it in the refrigerator for several hours (up to 24 hours) or overnight, until its fully thawed.
- Even 1 lb (0.45 kg) of ground turkey will take 12-24 hours to thaw.
- The back and bottom of the fridge are typically the coldest places. Cold air sinks while warm air enters from the front whenever the door is opened.
Good Tips to Thaw Ground Turkey in Microwave
If you want to successfully defrost ground turkey in the microwave, follow these tips:
- To cook your ground turkey in the safest way possible, follow these instructions. First, take the frozen meat out of its initial container and put it on a plate that can go in the microwave. The plate should be glass or ceramic, big enough that theres an empty space of one inch all around the turkey. This is important because otherwise juices will drip off onto your food and make everything gross. Finally, dont use styro foam or plastic containers in the microwave , since they could melt or even catch fire.
- To defrost one pound of ground turkey, set the microwave to 30% power and cook for two minutes. After two minutes, check the meat to see if it is thawed evenly. If not, rotate the block of meat and microwaves in one-minute increments until it is thawed completely. If the turkey is already partly frozen, reduce cooking time to one minute per pound.
- Instant cook thawed turkey. Ground turkey should be cooked soon after it is defrosted to avoid the rapid growth of bacteria. Defrosting in the microwave starts cooking to some extent while thawing, which means that bacteria has already started to grow. The leftover thawed turkey should be placed back inside the refrigerator or freezer immediately so that it can be used at a later time and minimize the growth of foodborne bacteria.
If you want to know the recipe of how long to cook turkey wings in oven, you can click in here.
Is It Safe to Thawing Ground Turkey in Room Temperature?
Hmmm this is one of the top questions that we received when it comes to food thawing (not only about how to defrost ground turkey). Now, lets check out the answer!!!
No and Never!!! Room-temperature defrosting/thawing is dangerous. Leaving ground beef or any other perishable food out at room temperature for more than two hours can invite bacteria to grow and potentially make you sick. The best place to thaw meat is in the fridge where it will stay cold and safe.
Well, so thats the end of how to defrost ground turkey and also some tips for you to keep its texture moist and good. The Blue Stove is appreciative of your time and reading for this article. Lets wrap up with a FAQs section and a conclusion.
1-How can I thaw ground turkey quickly?
Ground turkey can become defrosted in a hurry by using the microwave. Select either the defrost setting or use 30% power level, then heat for 2 minutes. Other than these methods, you could potentially place it in the fridge or run cold water over it, but unfortunately both techniques will take longer.
2-Can we defrost ground turkey in water?
Thawing your turkey in advance is the best way to prevent any issues. You can submerge the turkey, still in its packaging, and change the water every 30 minutes. This will take about 30 minutes per pound but is quicker than keeping it in the fridge would be.
3-Can I cook a frozen ground turkey?
Using frozen ground meat is not only easier, but it also prevents the meat from drying out or becoming overcooked. Plus, it saves you time!
4-After defrosting, how effective is ground turkey?
Use ground meats, poultry, and fish within one to two days of thawing them. For beef, pork, lamb or veal (roasts, steaks or chops), you have an extra three to five days.
5-How long does it take to thaw a turkey in the fridge?
Thoroughly defrost your turkey in the fridge, aiming for 3 to 4 hours per kilo (2 to 2 1/2 hours per pound). If your room is colder than cool (below 17.5c/64F), allow extra time for thawing. Check that the bird is fully thawed by sticking a knife into its thickest part before you start cooking or brining it.
We hope youve enjoyed learning about all the different ways of how to defrost ground turkey. You should now be armed with all the tips and tricks you need to make perfect dishes every time. Wed love for you to check out some of our other great recipes, so please visit our website The Blue Stove or blog for more cooking tips and ideas. Happy cooking!