So, you want to have something new but original turkey for Thanksgiving, what about how to cook turkey necks? If youre like most people, cooking a turkey is a big ordeal. You have to worry about whether its cooked all the way through, and whether it will turn out moist and delicious.
But what we have another easier way? What if you could cook a delicious turkey without all the hassle? Believe it or not, you can do just that - by cooking turkey necks. Turkey necks are flavorful and tender, and theyre perfect for small gatherings or intimate dinners. So if youre looking for an easy alternative to traditional Thanksgiving turkeys, give turkey necks a try!
And if you are interested in different dishes of turkey for this Christmas, dont forget to try out this baked crispy turkey bacon. It will blow your mind!
Well, before getting to how to cook turkey necks, lets check some side information as well as how to prep this dish before cooking.
Is Turkey Neck Edible?
If youve cooked turkey necks before, you likely know that they can turn out tough if not cooked properly. The key to flavorful and tender braised turkey necks is a lengthy cooking time in lots of liquid.
However, this is considered as an unhealthy food (not produced for human consumption), so make sure to follow your doctor advice or medical organization about the amount of consumption.
Are Turkey Necks Good For Human’s Health?
How to Prep Turkey Neck Before Cooking?
Before learning how to cook turkey necks, we need to know the process and clean and wash it to eliminate all the contamination.
- Soak turkey necks in cold water for at least 1 hour to clean them before cooking.
- Change the water a few times to remove any blood or impurities,
- Rinse well and pat dry with a paper towel.
Here is a video for more washing tips:
Recipe #1: How to Cook Turkey Necks in A Classic Way
- 1 lb turkey necks
- 2 cups water or broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the chopped onions. Cook until they are soft and translucent, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the turkey necks to the pot and stir to coat them with the oil.
3. Pour in the water or broth and bring the mixture to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for about 2 hours, until the turkey necks are tender and fully cooked.
5. Serve warm with your choice of side dishes, such as rice or mashed potatoes.
If you want to try something a little different, you can also cook your turkey necks using other methods like braising, roasting, or grilling. Just be sure to follow the cooking times and temperatures recommended for each method to ensure that your turkey necks come out perfectly cooked and tender every time. Whatever cooking method you choose, turkey necks are a delicious and satisfying addition to any meal!
Also, if you are interested in not only necks but wings, here are the recipe for you!
Recipe #2: Louisiana Boiled Turkey Necks Recipe
- 4-5 pounds turkey necks
- 2 chopped bell peppers
- 1 chopped large onion
- 1 whole celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 cup shrimp and crab boil dry seasoning OR 1/4 cup chicken bouillon powder mixed with 1-2 tablespoons liquid crab boil concentrate (*) (omit for milder taste)
- Corn on the cob and also potatoes (**)
(*) If you use the crab boil dry seasoning instead of Bouillon Powder: omit salt from recipe.
(**) Cut corn into 3rds or 4ths & parboil 10 minutes before adding to turkey neck pot. Parboiling will cut cook time down significantly
- 6 cups of water
- 2 lemons (washing purposes)
- Rinse the turkey necks thoroughly with water and lemon juice.
- Cut off any excess fat or discharge.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry seasoning, bouillon powder, liquid crab boil, and water well.
B. Using crockpot
- After youve gathered your turkey necks and vegetables, put them in a 7-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Then, pour the water and seasoning mixture over everything.
- Make sure to cover the slow cooker before setting it on either HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours so that the meat has time to tenderize.
C. Using stovetop
- In a large pot, combine the water and seasoning.
- Then, add in the veggies and bring to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Next, throw in the turkey necks. Afterward, reduce heat to medium then cover with lid - leave slight crack.
- Cook for 2 hours or until meat is tender (you may need to add more water periodically).
- Finally, drain then enjoy!
If youre looking for a unique and flavorful way of how to cook turkey necks, you might want to try making Louisiana boiled turkey necks. This recipe is simple yet delicious, using classic ingredients like onion, garlic, and bay leaves along with more unexpected seasonings like thyme and black pepper
Another recipe for cooking turkey bacon:
Recipe #2 Amazing Southern Smothered Turkey Necks Recipes – iHeartRecipes
- 4lbs of regular turkey necks (not smoked)
- 2tsp of seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 5 cloves garlic (chopped)
- (3) 0.87 packages brown gravy mix
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups of chicken/turkey broth
- Thoroughly clean the turkey necks and set them aside. In a large bowl, mix together seasoning salt, kosher salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and dried thyme. Then coat the turkey necks in the mixture.
- To begin, drizzle 2 tablespoons of oil into a large pan and place it over medium heat.
- Once the oil is heated, add in diced onions and celery. Cook until they have achieved a Light browning. Now, mince the garlic cloves and toss them into pan. Allow the mixture to cook for an additional minute then turn off the stove top Burner..
- Add the turkey necks, onions, celery, and garlic to the instant pot. Then sprinkle in the packages of gravy mix and pour in the broth.
- Next, set the timer for 55 minutes on high. After that is done, follow the directions to remove the steam carefully, then stir in the southern smothered turkey necks. Lastly, put the lid back on top of the instant pot and make sure it is sealed shut.
- Prepare the turkey necks and serve with rice or potatoes.
- Serve & Enjoy!
If you want to be a master in cooking and you want to know how long to smoke a spatchcock turkey, you need to know well about the temperature as well as the way to cook it.
Here is a video of recipe from iHeartRecipes how to cook turkey necks in Smothered style
How to Know My Turkey Necks is Well Cooked?
There are a few ways to tell if your turkey necks are fully cooked and ready to eat.
- One of the most reliable methods is to check for doneness using a food thermometer, which should read at least 165°F when inserted into the thickest part of the meat.
- Additionally, you can look for signs of browning on the outer edges of the turkey necks, or check to see that the meat is tender and easily falls off the bone.
- Another key indicator is how juicy the meat appears, as well cooked turkey necks should be slightly moist and flavorful.
- If youre in doubt about whether your turkey necks are done, its always a good idea to consult a trusted recipe or cooking guide for more specific tips and recommendations.
Also, here are the techniques for you to make turkey wings fall off the bone.
Tips to Have Great Turkey Neck Dishes for Christmas
Phew, were done with 3 awesome recipes of how to cook turkey necks. We bet you are hurried to know what tips can assure your dish succeed 100/100 every time. So here it is:
1. Start by choosing high-quality turkey necks, as this will help ensure that your meat is tender and flavorful.
2. Before preparing the turkey necks, be sure to thoroughly wash them and pat them dry with paper towels. This will help prevent any splattering during cooking.
3. To add extra flavor to your turkey necks, you can marinate them overnight in your favorite seasonings or sauces.
4. When cooking the turkey necks, be sure to use a heavy-bottomed pan or pot and adjust the heat as needed to avoid burning.
5. To keep your dishes of turkey necks moist and juicy, consider basting them with a little bit of the cooking liquid or oil now and then.
6. If you have any leftovers, you can use them to make delicious turkey neck stock or soup, which can be enjoyed on their own or incorporated into other dishes.
7. Finally, if youre looking for new ways to enjoy your turkey necks, consider trying out different recipes and preparations, such as grilling, frying, or roasting. With a little creativity and experimentation, you can easily turn your turkey necks into a delicious and satisfying meal.
So thats all for how to cook turkey necks for Thanksgiving. We all know sometimes changes can amaze everyone, so why not give a shot to this crazy recipe, or maybe baking turkey bacon instead? The Blue Stove is always on your side.
How long to cook turkey necks in the oven?
Place necks in an oven-safe baking dish with a lid. Include garlic cloves and 1 cup of water or chicken broth. bake at 350 degrees for 3 to 4 hours, until necks are falling off the bones. check after one hour of baking time to ensure there is still liquid present; this will prevent burning.
Do we need to wash turkey necks?
If the turkey necks appear dirty, rinse them with water and cut away any excess membrane. However, take caution when cutting wet membranes - they can cause you to lose your grip. Always pat dry before marinating.
How to get the meat out of a turkey neck?
After your turkey is thawed, reach inside to where the giblets and neck are located. Check both cavities; you dont want anything left behind. Once youve found them, gradually remove them by lightly pulling with your hand.
Now that you know how to cook turkey necks, whats next for Christmas? The Blue Stove has plenty of recipes for all kinds of foods. Check out our website for more tips and tricks on cooking the perfect meal. We are thankful for choosing us!