Thanksgiving is so close, have you wondered about how to cook smoked turkey wings? Or its time to start thinking about what dishes youll be preparing for the big feast. If youre looking for a new recipe to add to your repertoire, why not try smoking some turkey wings?
Theyre a delicious and easy-to-prepare alternative to traditional Thanksgiving turkey, and theyre sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. So read on for instructions on how to cook smoked turkey wings like a pro (or some replacement like turkey bacon!)
What Kind of Woods Should I Use to Cooke Smoked Turkey Wings?
There are a few varieties of wood that work wonders for smoking turkey when you learn about how to cook smoked turkey wings.
- One of our personal favorites is pecan, as it leaves the meat with a subtle sweetness.
- Other excellent options include cherry and apple woods.
- Hickory is always a safe classic choice, but we find it produces barbecue-based smoked turkey tastes which some may not enjoy.
How to Cook Smoked Turkey Wings?
- Rub of your choice
- Basting Brush
Ingredients of how to cook smoked turkey wings:
- Turkey wings
- Your favorite rub
Instructions of how to cook smoked turkey wings:
>Brining turkey wings:
1. Start by creating a brine to soak your turkey wings in overnight. To do this, mix together 1 gallon of cold water with ½ cup of granulated sugar and ¼ cup of sea salt until fully dissolved.
2. Place the turkey wings in the brine solution, cover, and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, up to 24 hours.
>Smoking the Turkey Wings:
1. Set up your smoker according to the manufacturers instructions. Fill the charcoal chamber with enough charcoal for a two-hour smoke, and make sure there is plenty of room at the top for air to circulate.
2. Take the turkey wings out of the brine solution, rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Generously rub each turkey wing with the dry rub of your choice, and place them in the smoker rack.
4. Place the turkey wings in the smoker and cook for 2 hours at 225°F, basting every 30 minutes with melted butter or oil using a pastry brush to ensure even coating of flavor.
5. Once done, take the turkey wings out of the smoker and allow them to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
If you prefer a super crispy skin in how to cook smoked turkey wings recipe, remove the wings from the smoker and set aside. Turn your smoker up to high. Once heated, sear the wings for 30 seconds on both sides.
How to Know My Turkey Wings are Well-Smoked?
- Outside: The skin of the turkey wings should be a golden brown color and crispy.
- Inside: If you cut into one of the wings, the meat should be moist and juicy with a smoky flavor. Also, the internal temperature reaches 165 F (following USDA for safe internal temperature).
Tips to Have Crispy but Juicy Smoked Turkey Wings
Well well, so lets go through the how to cook smoked turkey wings and keep on with all the tips here to have a stunning dish so far. Were almost done guys!
1. Make sure to properly brine the turkey wings before cooking, as this will help keep them juicy and tender while they are being smoked.
2. Use a dry rub of your choice for added flavor, and be generous with it!
3. Baste the turkey wings every 30 minutes or so with melted butter or oil to add flavor and help them achieve a crispier texture.
4. Make sure that your smoker is set to 225°F and cook the wings for 2 hours, this will ensure that they are cooked through without becoming dry or burnt.
Best Ways to Serve the Smoked Turkey Wings
There are many ways to serve your smoked turkey wings, with your homemade-special sauce, without any things or just along with some salads. All are great. Here are some suggestion for you about it!
Once cooked, the turkey wings are ready to be served. They can be eaten as-is, or you can incorporate them into your favorite recipes.
For example, try coating them in a sticky glaze for extra flavor. You could also chop them up and mix with rice for a delicious meal.
Thats everything for you to learn about how to cook smoked turkey wings, lets wrap up with a quick FAQs part.
How to heat store-bought smoked turkey wings?
To cook store-bought smoked turkey wings, heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and cook the wings for 15 minutes per pound. If your turkey wings are not already smoked, you can smoke them first using a smoker before cooking them in the oven for the same amount of time. Then learn how to cook smoked turkey wings right above.
Turkey wings vs chicken: Which one is healthier?
Though both chicken and turkey wings are rich in various nutrients, there are some differences between them.
- Chicken wings contain more selenium, vitamin B3, monounsaturated fat, and polyunsaturated fat than turkey wings.
- Turkey wings have more vitamin B6, phosphorus, and vitamin B12. However, chicken wings daily need coverage for saturated fat is 13% higher than turkey wings needs.
- Lastly sodium-wise; per 100 grams chicken wings contains 6 times the amount of sodium compared to an equivalent serving size of turkey wings should apologize for any confusion caused
Whats the best temperature to cook the turkey?
First, roast your turkey at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 40-45 minutes. Then, lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and let the turkey cook for the remainder of the time. Every 15 to 20 minutes, it is advised that you brush butter or olive oil on the surface of the bird to help with browning as well as keep the meat moist.
Can I eat turkey if its a little pink?
The only guaranteed way to ensure your turkey (or any meat) is properly cooked and safe to eat, is by using a meat thermometer. If the temperature of the thigh reads as 180°F or above, it means the meat is fully cooked - no matter what its color may be.
How long to cook smoked turkey wings?
Smoked turkey wings should be cooked for 2 hours at a temperature of 225°F. Baste the wings every 30 minutes or so with melted butter or oil to add flavor and help them achieve a crispier texture. Once done, take the wings out of the smoker and allow them to rest for 5 minutes before serving for optimal taste.
We hope this recipe of how to cook smoked turkey wings provides you with a stress-free and enjoyable Thanksgiving Day. Good luck! If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to reach out to us or leave a comment below. And for more great cooking and baking recipes, be sure to visit our website at thebluestove.com. Thank you for reading and happy cooking!